I actually thought about writing a post about my favorite work place occurrence, the accidental “reply all”, a few days ago. Then today, I friggin’ did it. I accidentally sent a “reply all” to my entire 250+ person office. It was innocent enough:
Original email:
“Hello everyone,
All SF Giants ticket requests for Friday, April 9 through Wednesday, April 14 are due by Friday, April 2 at 12pm.
The games are as follows:
Fri, Apr 9 1:35pm ATL
Sat, Apr 10 7:05pm ATL
Sun, Apr 11 1:05pm ATL
Mon, Apr 12 7:15pm PIT
Tues, Apr 13 7:15pm PIT
Wed, Apr 14 12:45pm PIT
Please remember to note how many tickets (two or four) and the purpose (business or personal). Thanks in advance!”
When I saw this email I responded back immediately. These tickets go fast, so I wanted to secure some for Opening Day:
“Can I have 4 for personal use for April 9? Thanks!”
And then it happened. A storm of responses from my co-workers that made me realize I had replied to the entire office:
“way to hit Reply All. :)”
"Nice"
"hahah... you sent it to the entire office. "
"I am not sure...maybe...if you ask nicely."
“sure!”
"Only if you reply-all to the office"
"you 'tard"
"I'm sure the whole office enjoyed that one."
"Rookie mistake"
"How personal could it be if you blast it to the office? :)"
"Just reply all in a pirate voice and all wil be ok!"
The last quote was from my co-worker who had the best “reply all” incident recently:
Original message from him sent to the whole office: “R”
Reply all: “R as in arrrr, me phone's sending ghost emails from me pocket. Sorry everyone, please ignore.”
I was once forwarded an email where a candidate applying for a job at my company had received a rejection email and accidentally did a “reply all” to the entire recruiting department, announcing “Fuck (name of my company).” He then proceeded to profusely apologize, insisting he meant to forward it to his friend. The recruiter was kind enough to forgive him after he called and emailed multiple times. She promised him that if he reapplied the following year this incident would not affect his chances.
These little slips of unintentional email blasts always entertain me. They are always pretty random and slightly awkward, but always hilarious.
Friday, March 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


ummm equally as redic is people who reply-all to a reply-all.
ReplyDeletefor example, johnny co-worker CCs the team of 10 with "dentist appt this morning, be in later." said team of 10 then feels the need to reply-all with useless responses such as "ouch hope you don't have a cavity," or "ok, see you after," or "ya sure, enjoy your morning off" ...all of which are UNNECESSARY! sorry if its insensitive, but really, i don't care about your useless banter.
next post suggestion: how to ask to be removed from a redic reply-all chain.