Thursday, March 25, 2010

An open letter to male bus passengers

Dear male bus passenger,
I see you, yeah you. The one sitting there zoning out to his iPod. The one who is consumed in the latest crime novel. The one who is in the middle of a loud business call on his Blackberry. The guy who doesn’t have a single bag to carry on the bus.

I see you, which means you can see me. I am the petite girl climbing onto the bus with a huge purse, heavy laptop bag, struggling in my 4 inch heels on my way to work. I’m the girl who is polite enough to give up my seat despite this for the elderly, handicap, or pregnant passengers. Yeah that’s me.

What I would like to know is who are you and what pack of wolves raised you? I don’t think I expect too much out of you guys. I always offer to split bills on dates. I don’t need you to constantly compliment me. I don’t even need car doors to be opened for me. I am not high maintenance. But if I get onto public transportation and have to spend 25 minutes bus surfing, trying not to injure myself with my 30lbs of luggage, you better believe that I expect you to stand up and give me your seat. So the next time you see me on the bus, staring at you from across the aisle, don’t think I am checking you out. From behind those opaque sunglasses I am standing there, looking down on you, questioning your manhood.

XOXO,
M

6 comments:

  1. I assume that guy zoning out on his iPod also forced you to take 30 lbs of luggage on the bus and wear four-inch heels? Please...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I constantly give up my seat on my commute to work for other people, while these douches look on like they have no social responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look I'm not trying to be a dick (even though I am), but if a lack of social responsibility is the issue at hand, then why is the post addressed to men specifically rather than everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just witness a constant lack of gentlemanlike behavior on public transportation. Females are way more courteous and self aware. This isn’t a one-off incident, but a series of observations after years of taking the bus to and from work every day. This post is not meant to scorn men; this blog is just for funny stories and observations in my life. Don’t take it so seriously :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude... how can I not take a blog that says "HOLE TO HOLE TEAR" seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Men should give up their seats for women and the elderly. There are no two ways about it. It's just common decency. Thanks for raising me to be polite Mom!

    ReplyDelete