I am not really a fan of too many award winning films. I get it, they are deep. I could care less. I like trashy, low-grossing, and mostly poorly rated comedies. Here are three that I think everyone should see.
1. She’s The Man
This movie stars Amanda Bynes and Channing Tatum. It’s about a girl named Viola, played by Bynes, who wants to try out for the boy’s soccer team when the girl’s team is cut from her school, but the coach won’t let her. Instead she chooses to impersonate her twin brother, Sebastian and enroll in a local private school. All goes well until she starts falling for her roommate, Duke, played by Tatum, while his crush, Olivia, starts falling for her. This theme has been way overdone in movies (as you will see again below) but it is none the less hilarious. There are some really great lines and psychical comedy by Bynes as she tries to act like a guy, but comes off as awkward and pretty creepy.
Rated: PG-13
M-Rated: 3/5 fangs
2. Angus
This film was made in the mid-90’s and I have never met anyone else who has ever seen it. I watched it again recently (online because Netflix doesn’t have it) and it reaffirmed my childhood love for this film. It’s a coming-of-age story about this fat high school teen who is jokingly voted the winter ball king by an asshole jock, played by Dawson, I mean, James Van Der Beek. Kathy Bates and Kevin Connelly are also in this film. The lead female character’s name is Melissa Lefevre (pronounced La-Fever), which I am pretty sure would be my stripper name if I had to choose one.
Rated: PG-13
M-Rated: 5/5 fangs
3. White Chicks
What do you get when the Wayans brothers impersonate the Hiltons? Comedy gold. In this movie, two FBI agents are suppose to securely transport two socialite sisters, the Wilsons, to the Hamptons after they receive a kidnapping threat. When they accidentally get into a minor fender-bender leaving the girls scratched, they refuse to go. The agents then proceed to apply prosthetics and massive amounts of body paint to impersonate the girls. Don’t get me wrong, this movie is bad. It’s so bad it is good and I think it’s hilarious. The facial features in this film kill me. There is something so creepy about the way their faces move and their shrill laughs that get me every time. There are some great lines from this film that ½Sushi and I still quote to this day. It was nominated for more Razzies than anything, but I still love this film.
Rated: PG-13
M-Rated: 4/5 fangs
If you have seen or end up see these films after reading this, let me know what you think!
Monday, June 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


she's the man... a definite 4 stars.
ReplyDeletethere must have been an accidental omission, as i don't see "ace ventura: pet detective" on there.
or, The Hot Chick. Best movie of all time.
ReplyDelete