Monday, September 6, 2010

Why is this art?

This weekend I visited the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. They recently acquired the Fischer collection, which is viewed as one of the largest and most comprehensive modern art anthologies in the world. They museum has plans to go undergo construction in order to expand and fit the new work, so the collection is only on display for a short period of time.

I am a big fan of art of all kinds, especially mixed media pieces. While classic art is aesthetically beautifully, I am usually more drawn to modern art and the emotions the pieces can evoke. I try to keep an open mind when looking at art; however I do have one basic guideline. If I can do it, it’s not art.

Nothing pisses me off more than entering a gallery and seeing a bunch of monotone painted canvases. I shit you not, there is a piece in SFMOMA right now similar to this photo.


Another section had a set of single tone painted canvases. I got so mad I left the room right away, but I can only assume they were from the same ass bag artist. The worst part is I guarantee this stuff is next to priceless.

WHY IS THIS ART? You are telling me if I walk into an art supply store, purchase a canvas and then bring them to a museum they will just hang this stuff on the wall and call it genius? What is wrong with these people?! There is nothing aesthetically pleasing, interesting, or technically skilled about them at all. It’s just crap. Unless Jesus Christ, post crucifixion, rose from the dead and painted four canvases in neon tones, this stuff is not worth hanging anywhere.

Since apparently anyone can be an artist, I would like to submit this photo for consideration into SFMOMA. It’s called “Blank Canvases: A retrospective.”

No comments:

Post a Comment