Back in June, Party Kel tried to pull a nasty trick on me. Without my knowledge, she purchased us tickets to the Backstreet Boys concert at the Warfield in San Francisco. Party Kel had been beyond obsessed with them when we were in middle school and would have married Nick Carter on the spot if he had ever asked her. Actually now that I think about it, she probably would still marry him. She basically forced me to go with her to the concert due to the extreme guilt I would have felt if I said no and wasted her money. She even brought along vintage Backstreet Boy t-shirts circa 1998. It was pure torture to say the least.
Kelly "fake" crying at the Backstreet Boys concert
After the concert, she owed me one and she knew it, but that didn’t quite settle this urge I had to get even. Then I received an email that the band I loved in middle school was making two tour stops in San Francisco. And that band was Hanson. In case you need me to paint a picture of how much I loved them, I still to this day own one of their t-shirts, a Totally Taylor book, and my entire collection of their CDs including foreign and domestic singles. When I was in the sixth grade, my bedroom was so plastered with their pictures you couldn’t see the paint color of my walls. Even when I was in college, I couldn’t resist the urge to see them when they debuted a documentary at BU, if only to get a glimpse of those faces I once obsessed over.
Check out minute 1:34 for a familiar face (in pink)
Hanson, with their flowing gold locks and their sweet melodies, would be the perfect act of revenge against Party Kel. So instead of checking with her, I bought the tickets and added the date to her calendar. Last night was the concert and even though I didn’t know 99% of their material due to the fact that I hadn’t listened to them in 10 years, they are still great musicians. Mmmbop.
I was equally obsessed with Hanson. I spent every cent of babysitting money on teen magazines with their faces on them. :) I'm jealous of your concert experience!
I like Hanson now, but when I was in school, the story was a little different. I'm 26, and I grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where, as I'm sure you already know, the Hanson bros also grew up. So believe me, no girls were more nutso for these guys than the girls in my city. I think it was fed by the fact that they could actually be spotted around town there on occasion, fueling the insanity. My girlfriends were OBSESSED. They made regular pilgrimages to the fence around the Hanson property just to collect leaves and blades of grass. And I may have even had a chance of becoming obsessed myself, except that by the time I really knew who or what Hanson was I was already so sick of hearing about them from my twitterpated friends. Also, any time I left the city or state and other girls heard I was from Tulsa, they always wanted to know all about Hanson. Had I seen them? Were they really that cute in person? Where did they live? What did they eat? And the best part is ... At some point, the mayor of Tulsa declared a specific date "Hanson Day" in the boys' honor and all my friends wanted to throw a party on that day to celebrate. The date was May 6 -- my birthday. Gotta love those teenage years!
My brother is really good friends with Nick and Angel Carter, Ill have to tell Kelly tonight...I can set up a meeting whenever she would like !
ReplyDeletehahaha
im dead serious
OMG STOP IT! i'm tearing up all over again, like it's 1995. gigi, how do we make this happen?!
ReplyDeleteI was equally obsessed with Hanson. I spent every cent of babysitting money on teen magazines with their faces on them. :) I'm jealous of your concert experience!
ReplyDeleteI like Hanson now, but when I was in school, the story was a little different. I'm 26, and I grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where, as I'm sure you already know, the Hanson bros also grew up. So believe me, no girls were more nutso for these guys than the girls in my city. I think it was fed by the fact that they could actually be spotted around town there on occasion, fueling the insanity. My girlfriends were OBSESSED. They made regular pilgrimages to the fence around the Hanson property just to collect leaves and blades of grass. And I may have even had a chance of becoming obsessed myself, except that by the time I really knew who or what Hanson was I was already so sick of hearing about them from my twitterpated friends. Also, any time I left the city or state and other girls heard I was from Tulsa, they always wanted to know all about Hanson. Had I seen them? Were they really that cute in person? Where did they live? What did they eat? And the best part is ... At some point, the mayor of Tulsa declared a specific date "Hanson Day" in the boys' honor and all my friends wanted to throw a party on that day to celebrate. The date was May 6 -- my birthday. Gotta love those teenage years!
ReplyDelete