Today I was approached by a couple of my co-workers saying “Where have you been? We never see you any more. You used to come over and say hi and now you just sit in your corner.” I know they were mostly just giving me a hard time, but I had no idea that the fact that my job slowly kills my soul every day was also obvious to other people. Then when I thought more about it I guess there are obvious signs that I am unhappy there.
I am not a girl who walks out of the house without being made up. I am always fully dressed and have my hair and makeup done. By that I mean I never walk around in sweats with my hair in a ponytail or anything like that. It’s just not me. I used to be the same way at work. Over time things have shift. Heels were replaced with flats and my work clothes became semi-professional dresses with tights underneath. I used to always have makeup on but then I started sleeping in a little and in order to still get to work on time, I would bring it and apply it after I checked my email. Then I started waiting until about lunch time, and now, I never wear makeup at all.
After thinking this over I wondered what my friends had experienced in this area. I decided to send out a few IMs saying, “I am going to write a blog post about ‘signs you have given up on your job’, give me one example of something you have done.” Here is the list:
1. You used to get all done up to come into work every day, and now you don’t even wear makeup and sometimes don’t shower.
2. You stop attending office wide meetings and events, even if they are mandatory.
3. You eat a huge baguette and a wheel of cheese at your desk and don’t even care that everyone is laughing at your pigging out.
4. You are constantly on Hulu or Facebook instead of doing work and you don’t even care to have a page you can easily toggle to if people walk by.
5. You talk shit about your job in front of your bosses.
6. You wear flip flops all day when you are suppose to wear dress shoes.
7. You stop saying hi to superiors, because you no longer feel the need to kiss ass.
8. You show up late, take long lunches, and leave early, without an excuse.
9. You spend 45 minutes on long distance phone calls with friends to catch up.
10. You find ways to steal little things from your company to gain some satisfaction, like an extra soda or a pair of scissors.
11. You know all the potential areas in your building where you could nap undisturbed.
12. You stopped filling out your time sheets, because you know you will get paid regardless.
13. You see how many f-bombs you can drop into generally work conversation.
14. You spend time getting personal chores down even though your inbox has 50 unread messages.
15. You write blog posts in the middle of the work day…
Thanks to all my friends who contributed!
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment