Saturday, May 15, 2010

The race for rally scarves

I am a huge Giants fan and I love everything about baseball. I love the game, the drunken socializing, rooting and booing for players, and of course all the gloriousness that is AT&T Park. Party Kel and I go to about a dozen Giants games a season. We are very strategic about the games we pick, choosing the ones with a) the best rivals and b) the best giveaways. We have gotten some great gifts from the Giants over the year, but this year seems to have the most amazing stuff ever; skateboards, bobbleheads, and baseball caps to name a few. Unfortunately, I missed the snuggie game, which was a big upset, so I now my #1 goal is to make sure I receive ever other giveaway.

2nd Street Gate

Last night, I went to a game with Party Kel, her little sister Ween and her boyfriend. Party Kel had told me in advance that she wasn’t going to arrive at the ballpark until 6:40pm. The game started at 7:15pm. I knew she would get there too late to be one of the first 20,000 attendees to receive the giveaway of the game, a Giants rally scarf. A must have. I knew what I had to do.

Willie Mays Gate

Armed with all 4 tickets to the game, I arrived to the ballpark around 6:00pm. I knew if I moved fast I could get all 4 rally scarves, but I had to be smart about it. My first entrance into the park, I walked through the first 2nd Street gate. My ticket was scanned and stamped and I received my first scarf. I immediately walked out of the first gate and got my wrist stamped for reentry. Next, I entered into the second 2nd Street gate. Here is where my first obstacle occurred. How to exit the same way without the guy questioning why I was leaving again? AT&T Park security is wary of people trying to sneak in and out of games. As I approached the exit, I slyly walked to the second hand-stamper, I pulled my jacket sleeve down, so he couldn’t see the first stamp. It worked, I received a second wrist stamp, and I successfully exited.

O'Doul Gate

From there I entered through the main Willie Mays gate. Scarf #3. This time, escape was easy. I slipped through Public House, the restaurant at AT&T. Finally, I entered through the O’Doul gate and gathered my fourth scarf. Mission accomplished. I know what you are thinking. You are an idiot and why go through all the trouble? I mean look at these things, they are awesome. The one thing the picture doesn’t show is how it says “State Farm” above the word “Giants”. Crap, now I have to walk around like a big freakin’ ad for State Farm. It was still worth it.


As I waited for my friends to arrive, I ran into this kid who was holding up a sign that said “I write good songs about baseball. Ask me to sing one. No charge.” Well shit ok! Here is the song I forced him to sing to some poor teenage kid sitting next to me.


I am so excited it’s just the beginning of the baseball season and I have many more memories and ridiculous occurrences to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment