Thursday, February 25, 2010

Even my mom thinks I am a lost cause

I’m 24-years-old and have never had a long lasting relationship. My mom and dad met when they were in the eighth grade and got married when they were 20-years-old. During my 20's I have found that my mom can relate less and less to me. At twenty-four, my mom was busy being a wife and mother, while I am living alone and trying to be career focused. I am pretty content being single at my age, but this fact seems to concern my mother.

While growing up I was constantly asked about the guys in my life, but those questions have faded over the years and replaced with hints of defeat. “When you get married, I mean IF, IF you get married. If you don’t, I mean, that is ok too.” When a good family friend asked my mom who she believed, out all of the children, would get married first, my mom told her, “None of my kids will get married in the next 10 years.” And don’t forget my grandmother’s words of advice that resonant in my mom to this day, “It is just as easy to marry a rich man as it is to marry a poor man.”

Now don’t get me wrong, my mom loves me and wants the best for me. She just thinks that I will find my true calling in a nunnery or by becoming a lesbian. I mean, come on mom, I look horrible in black and white and my facial features are not strong enough to carry a short haircut. Give me some credit.  Plus, I know I will one day fall in love and get married, just not today. But until then, I will continue to worry my mother, as she flips through a Birkenstock catalog wondering which pair would look best on me after I purchase my first Subaru.

No comments:

Post a Comment