
As anyone who regularly reads this blog knows, I am a huge fan of the San Francisco Giants. However, up until yesterday I was never a big fan of Brian Wilson. Though he is statically the best closer in the MLB, I find him to be a bit risky. He typically lets a few batters on base before ending an inning. This only adds to the torture that is the Giants 2010 season.
Last night, I was hanging out with a few friends who are big Giants fans. They all like Wilson and know I don’t feel the same way. In an attempt to change my mind about the player, they showed me this video.
I instantly changed my opinion about him. Why it took me so long to discover Wilson’s awesome public persona is beyond me. I found him to be frustrating on the field, so I usually didn’t watch any of his post game interviews. After watching this I had to see more. Here are a few of my favorite Brian Wilson quotes.
When asked what his ultimate goal was he responded, “I’d like to be a crossword clue one day. I want to be in The New York Times’s Sunday edition. Right now, the clue ‘Giants great’ is always Mel Ott. I want my clue to be down, not across. The down ones are usually harder. And when I’m the clue, I’ll fill it in — just that one — and frame it.”
"All the best guys are on the Giants. Fact."
Jim Rome: “Last time we talked you told me you were a certified ninja.”
Brian Wilson: “That is a correct statement.”
Jim Rome: “How long did it take to become a certified ninja.”
Brian Wilson: “I believe we discussed it happened in a dream. It takes a lifetime, but only like 12 minutes to complete the courses. They made a movie about it…Inception.”
He blamed his $1000 fine for his orange shoes for “having too much awesome on my feet.”
Based on all of this hilarity, how could you not love this guy? Today is the first game of the World Series, Giants versus the Rangers, and I am glad the ninja/the machine/the king of fear the beard is on our side. Go Giants!
*This post is dedicated to my friend Scott, a Giants and ASOUT fan.


No comments:
Post a Comment